I like to think I’m fairly in the know about pop culture… some embarrassingly so and some reallllllyyyy beneficial. For example, on the reallllllyyyy beneficial side, I totes know that Snooki is pregnant. I haven’t watched a single episode of her reality show, but it’s been pretty much plastered all over the news, so now that’s taking up valuable realty in my noggin. I also happen to know that the movie, The Artist won the Best Picture Oscar this year. I also know that it is a black and white, silent film… in the year 2012… something that I’m sure everyone was dying to run out and see. I wouldn’t have wanted to see it had it not won the top movie prize of the year… it sounded boring to me… boring and old… but because it won, I needed to see it just to see what all the hype was about. You know that saying curiosity killed the cat? Replace Whitney with the word cat and you’ll know the reason I’m going to die one day… a cat will probably eat me. This past Saturday evening, I did just that… errrr… went to the movie, not got eaten by a cat.
Things I Learned from The Artist:
– I need to shut up 50% more than I do. Who wants to watch a movie where no one talks? In this time of cell phones and iPads and computing systems and robotic aliens… no one in their right mind ever shuts the heck up for more than 20 minutes at a time. Even when sleeping, you have your sleep talkers and your snorers. We’ll all jabber until they shut us up by throwing us down a 6-foot hole and shoveling dirt into our pie holes! I’m already talking to myself at the age of 33. Watch out nursing homes! This movie had 2 short lines of dialogue… period… and yet it was just as effective as a “talkie.”
– Pride can be the downfall of the best of us. It’s not worth it. Drop it and move on!
– Some dogs are cute… Sue me… I’m a cat person. Talk to the many dogs who bit me when I had a paper route years ago! Rabies shots were my norm! Uggy, the dog, was super cute though!
– Pencil-thin mustaches creep me out. Shave, for goodness sakes!
– Never pretend you’re hugging a man’s suit coat… he will inevitably walk in on you… egg on your face!
– Tap dancing makes me happy.
It was a charming movie. There were some in the group who did not like the movie… AT ALL… coughcoughDadcoughcough. But, I think that’s mostly because there were no machine guns, dudes driving sports cars, and not once did John Wayne show up on his trusty steed. I, however, found it quite enjoyable. Old-fashioned and quaint and clean (no swear words… y’all… IMAGINE!) and did I mention charming? It totes brought me back to simpler times… and we could all use a little bit of that!
Question of the Day: Have you seen The Artist? What was your favorite movie this year?